Planning a trip to Israel’s second largest city? Whether for business or pleasure, a smart traveler knows that opting for car rental means having more freedom and flexibility going around a foreign city.
But like all things, there are pros and cons you must take into consideration when making a choice. Looking for the best deal and insurance are things to consider.
Allow us to give you some money-saving tips to avoid common problems with your car rental Tel Aviv:
- Before anything else, think about what kind of vehicle will best suit your needs. Are you traveling solo for business or what not? Are you traveling with children or with a lot of gear? If you need the space, rent a van or SUV. If you need to save on rent fees, consider the smallest vehicle a rental company has to offer.
- Now, aside from size, you’ll also want to rent a vehicle that is environmentally friendly. If you can choose to rent hybrid vehicles, then why not?
- Next, choose a car you know how to drive comfortably. If you can’t drive a stick shift, ask for a vehicle with automatic transmission.
- Choose the rental company carefully as well. Any extras a company might offer can be helpful in your travels, like a GPS system and so on.
- You may want to stick with names you know, but the thing is, locally owned companies could offer lower rates. Read car rental companies’ reviews online. This is very helpful in choosing which local company is the best for you. Make sure to visit several car rental companies’ websites for exclusive discounts.
- You can also avail of discounts for any major national organizations. In case you are enrolled to a frequent flier program or credit card programs or an employee of a company that enlists car rentals often, you can negotiate rates.
- You can also consider a car-share service, especially if you’re traveling alone.
- Make sure to read the terms and conditions and understand it before booking over the phone or online. Ask customer service reps about restrictions, penalties, provisions for being stuck in traffic, additional fees for hiring additional drivers and so on.
- Be wary of ads that are usually not transparent. There maybe state and local taxes, airport surcharges, additional driver fees, insurance and other hidden costs. You might end up paying for more than your budget allows.
- Inspect the vehicle properly before driving off. Any existing issues or even damages overlooked maybe charged to you later on.
The Bottom Line
Tel Aviv has beautiful sun-bronzed strips of coastline and welcoming locals that speak every language under the sun.
If you’re going to check out the Bauhaus-era buildings, the historic port of Jaffa and the city’s exciting local lifestyle – you’ll want to roam around town with no restrictions. A car rental is the perfect choice for you and your companions.
Just be sure to choose the right company to hire from, know exactly how much you are going to pay them to fully enjoy a hassle-free and memorable vacation in the “White City” of Israel.