Replacement kitchen doors serve as the central piece in many kitchen renovation projects. They’re the best proof that upgrading your kitchen area doesn’t necessarily require a complete overhaul and a limitless budget. You can give your kitchen the makeover it needs without spending a fortune or hiring a full team of professionals to get the job done.
So, if you’ve just moved into a new home and the current kitchen doesn’t live up to your standards, or if you’ve simply grown tired of your old cabinets, replacing your kitchen doors is a quick and easy way to change the look and the ambiance of the space.
However, if you’ve never taken on a remodelling project before, and you have no idea of what installing new kitchen doors implies, you might want to get informed on the topic before you get down to work. Good planning is key to a successful makeover, so here are a few important aspects to keep in mind if you want to achieve the best results.
Why replacing kitchen doors is a good idea
Not sure that kitchen replacement doors can provide the best solution for your kitchen remodel project? Being sceptical is a good thing as it can help you avoid terrible mistakes that might end up hurting your kitchen design and your bank account. But scepticism can also keep you from seeing the real potential in what could be a great remodelling solution. Luckily, we have some solid arguments to back up the use of replacement kitchen doors in kitchen makeover projects, as follows:
- Cost-effectiveness – kitchen renovations usually come with a hefty price tag attached to them, and cabinets are often the most expensive element. Fortunately, replacement kitchen doors can give your kitchen a brand-new look on a budget, so you don’t have to make a huge financial effort to create the kitchen of your dreams.
- Minimum time and effort investment – if money is not a problem, time and effort might be. For homeowners who have limited time on their hands and can’t afford to live on a construction site for weeks, fitting kitchen doors to already installed units offers a quick and hassle-free solution.
- Impressive outcomes – it’s not just about budgeting and saving yourself the trouble of going through a full-scale renovation that makes replacement kitchen doors such a great option. It’s also the possibility to choose from a wide variety of styles, colours, and designs and revamp your kitchen instantly.
Are replacement doors suitable for all kitchens?
As you can see, fitting new kitchen doors to old cabinets provides plenty of advantages. But are all kitchens good contenders for this type of project? Generally, the answer is yes, but it’s important to check the condition of your current units if you want to make sure replacement kitchen doors suit your particular situation.
There’s really no need to purchase new kitchen units and throw away your current cabinets and cupboards if they are still in perfect shape. Quality kitchen furniture can last for years if it’s properly maintained, so if it’s just the style and the outdated design that’s bothering you, new kitchen doors can solve that problem in an instant.
When it comes to kitchen units, it’s usually the doors that take the biggest hit, showing signs of wear and tear due to intense use. The frames and the carcasses remain intact for a lot longer. It’s possible that under-sink cabinets or units that have been closer to sources of heat may need replacing sooner than the rest of the pieces, but that’s not always the case. So, if your cabinets and cupboards show no signs of structural damage, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to install new kitchen doors.
Choosing the right kitchen doors for you
Kitchen replacement doors come in a wide range of materials and styles, which means you may find it difficult to choose the pieces that best suit your kitchen. So, here are a few tips that can help you make the right decision:
- A bit of research – given the wide variety of choices at your disposal, you should take the time to research the different styles and designs on the market. From home and décor magazines to showrooms, there are plenty of online and offline resources that can offer information and inspiration in this respect.
- Ask for samples – it’s one thing to imagine what your kitchen will look like after installing new cabinet doors and another thing to see the doors in real life. Fortunately, a lot of manufacturers these days offer free samples that can be ordered online, so you get the chance to check the quality and the finish of the pieces up close before making a final decision.
- Assess your needs – sometimes, what you want and what you need can be two completely different things. Maybe you’re dreaming of a high-gloss white kitchen, but if you have kids and pets running around the house all the time, this might not be the most practical option. Therefore, you should consider your lifestyle and evaluate your needs when choosing replacement doors for your kitchen cupboards.
- Consider your budget – replacement kitchen doors may be the cheapest way to give your kitchen a facelift, but you still have to think about how this will fit into your budget. Costs vary from supplier to supplier, so make sure the pieces you choose fall within your price range.
Replacing kitchen doors is an easy DIY project
Replacement kitchen doors are not only affordable and convenient, but they also give you the possibility to put your DIY skills to the test and completely eliminate the necessity of hiring a fitter.
If you’re comfortable using an electric screwdriver and tape measure, you can get the job done yourself. It shouldn’t take you more than a few hours to install your new kitchen cabinet doors, although the time and effort you have to put in will obviously vary based on the type and number of units you have in your kitchen.
Now that you’ve armed yourself with the necessary knowledge, you can finally put theory into practice and kick off your kitchen remodel project.