Low carb diet, also known as Keto diet, allows the body to undergo the ketosis state. Ketosis induces production of Ketones in the liver which triggers burning of fat to be used as energy. People who undergo this diet needs to maintain this state to gain benefits such as weight loss.
The practitioners of this diet, Ketogenics, do not starve themselves with food. They just limit their intake of carbohydrates. Other than that, they have the option to customize their diet to make it high fat or protein. With this, ketogenics tend to reap the benefits of low carb intake such as reduce risk of heart diseases, prevent cancer and weight loss.
What is a low carb high protein eating plan like?
The usual low carb diet involves 75% of calories from fat, 20% from protein and only 5% from carbohydrates. By changing your diet this way, you are expected to lose weight and generate muscle mass.
You should note that the carb amount in your body is extremely low compared with normal diet. Low carb and high protein diet is a specialized diet that should be monitored closely. You can consult with dieticians or health practitioners before committing to this diet.
The following items should be observed on low carb high protein eating plan.
- If you want kick-start a low carb diet, you may consider trying carb-cycling diet first. This technique allows you to increase your carbohydrates intake on a specific amount and time per week. With this, your body will slowly adjust to your new diet.
- For days when you are at high carb intake, you can as high as 300 grams. You should note that anything exceeding this amount may make your efforts futile. On the days where you are on a low-carb diet, you can go as low as 50 grams. Nonetheless, these amounts may vary depending on your weight. Men who are larger in built require more calories and carbs than women.
- Get an appropriate amount of healthy fats in your diet. We recommend you to add healthy fats such as coconut oil, chia seeds, non-starchy vegetables and avocado. Regulating the percentage of carbohydrates in your intake shall determine the achievement of your goals.
- One should note that restricting your carb intake does not mean completely eliminating it. Carbs play an important role in your body. It helps reset your metabolic system which allows your body to create beneficial hormones such as Leptin and thyroid.
- If you are consuming less carbohydrates, you tend to eat more vegetables such as green s, herbs and spices. These are very suitable for the Ketogenic diet. To add protein, you can add red meat and nuts in your meal plan.
Food Suggestions on Your Meal Plan
If you are still wary of what to get when preparing for your low carb high protein eating plan, here are some of the items we recommend you to add in your shopping list.
- Vegetables – It is recommended to get leafy green vegetables, tomatoes, carrots, kale and spinach. These are great sources of nutrients in your body. It provides a great amount of vitamins that will fuel you the whole day.
- Protein sources – Meat and poultry produce are great sources of protein. You can also try fish and eggs for an extra boost in protein. There are also other alternative sources of protein such as protein powders. You can read more information about the benefits of protein powder in your diet at KetoaHolics.com Customer Reviews on Biotrust Protein Powder.
- Fresh food – Stay away from processed foods which are high in calories but low in nutritional value. Instead of this, get fresh ingredients such as fruits and vegetables.
If you are on a weight loss journey or just making better choices in your diet, practicing a low carb diet is a great way to start. It forces the body to utilize stored fat as the amount of carbs are limited. Moreover, it lowers the insulin levels and helps people controlling their sugar levels, especially diabetics, to maintain good health.
We highly recommend you to check out the low carb high protein diet and create an appropriate eating plan for this. You can consult a health practitioner or a ketogenic expert to know more about this diet and potential eating plans.